If you read my previous recipe, you’ll know I made my own mincemeat a few days ago, for the first time ever. It’s delicious and I wanted to try using it in a few ways. So yesterday there were traditional mince pies (and people from outside the UK were like – wait, there’s no meat in these?! Bizarre how some cultural things don’t travel.) Today I baked a fancy fluffy christmas cake using up the mincemeat in combination with pear and some very quick marzipan balls which are hidden in the middle of the cake (surprise!). I hope you enjoy this recipe!
For the cake:
3 medium eggs
100 raw cane sugar or honey
200g very finely grated courgette
120g ground almonds
1,5 tsp baking powder
zest of 2 lemons
a pinch of salt
For the filling:
1 large pear, diced into fairly hefty chunks
80g almond flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Beat the eggs and sugar/honey together for five minutes till very fluffy.
- Add the other cake ingredients and mix well.
- Add the diced pear and mincemeat.
- Mix almond flour and honey in a blender until well combined. Then roll out small balls in the palm of your hand.
- Pour half the cake mix into a 18cm diameter pre-oiled cake tin.
- Put the marzipan balls on top, spread out over the surface.
- Pour over the other half of the cake mix and flatten the surface.
- Bake for 35 mins. Let cool entirely. Enjoy with cinnamon ice cream or something similar.
Leave a Reply